We know, we know! We write about sleep a lot. That’s because it’s so important!
We all know it’s recommended that we all get between 7.0 and 8.0 hours of shut-eye at night. We all know that without adequate sleep, we’re more prone to injury, experience lack of focus and moodiness. We might even gain weight, since sleep is associated with several hormones directly related to appetite and energy. Come on—we all do it—we’ll go for anything within easy that offers the body energy—seriously, are you really going to feel like making a healthy meal when you’re so tired?
But we also know it’s easier said than done. A lot can stand in our way—racing minds, worry, sirens, noisy neighbors—you name it. But here are some simple things that may help you.
- Don’t minimize the importance of a good mattress and box spring. We do spend about 1/3 of our lives in bed, so a good mattress is a vital. So is the box spring, Even though we can’t see it, it has a big job, absorbing shocks and stress.
- Don’t drink water right before bed, or you’ll be up all night running to the bathroom.
- Incorporate some self care techniques, such meditation, soothing music, a relaxing hot bath; reading, doing some gentle stretching, etc. Do NOT use the bedroom to watch television, eat or do any other non-sleep activities.
- Invest in one of those “white noise boxes.” They do exactly what it says—create white noise.
- Play some soothing tapes, such as those with sounds of tweeting birds, rushing water, etc.
- Turn off those electronics, like cell phones, beeping computers, radios, etc.
- Write a “Nite Nite” paper–jot down every single thing that has you worried, annoyed or distracted in some way. Then throw out the paper! The idea is you’ve just cleared your mind to make room for a peaceful sleep.
Pluggz is a footwear brand featuring proprietary grounding technology. Pluggz shoes give people a direct connection to the Earth when they walk on grass, sand, soil and even concrete. To view our complete line, please click here.