Tis the season: We make all kinds of promises and resolutions for the New Year, then forget about them by mid-February or March, but by just remembering to do a few simple things, we can always feel healthy and happy, with more energy than ever!
Are you guilty of making any of these wellness mistakes?
- You skimp on sleep: We all have occasional sleepless nights, but when we’re chronically sleep deprived, we increase our susceptibility to illness and injury. I mean, will you really feel like making that green smoothie after a sleepless night—or will you get the energy anywhere your body craves it, like with an easy-to-reach muffin and coffee? Health experts recommend between 7.5 to 9 hours of shut-eye a night; the exact amount will depend upon your own body, so you may need to experiment.
- You skip meals. No, we’re not talking about a nutritional cleansing where you flood your body with nutrients, while keeping the calorie count low. We’re talking about randomly skipping, like when you rush out of the house in the morning without any nutrition at all. In fact, one of the best ways to keep that energy going all day long is to fire up your day with something nutritious, like a green smoothie–and here’s the recipe for the one Dr. Oz and Oprah drink every day.
Here’s what happens when you randomly skip meals: Your body thinks it’s starving so it “protects” you by lowering metabolism. That means you could actually gain weight and you might even overeat at the next one, since the body insists on making up lost calories.
- You ignore toxins, processed foods and chemicals: Eat whole, fresh foods and keep it clean—meaning no processing or chemicals. In fact, NY Times Best Selling Author, in his book, Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants, Michael Pollan, says we should eat foods our grandmothers would know–and never eat products that have 5 or more ingredients, especially if you can’t say the names.
Read labels and try to use green, environmentally-friendly cleaning products. The healthier and stronger you are, the better you can fight the ill effects of poor air quality.
- You fight cravings, rather than making them a frenemy. Bodies are remarkably smart and can give us valuable information, if we let them. For instance, did you know that a salty/crunchy craving can signal anxiety? Did you know that a craving for sugar is often the body’s cry for energy? Once you address with those issues, and “feed them properly, the cravings will be eliminated, your energy will increase and excess weight will release.
- You don’t get enough physical activity: Not everyone loves the gym–and bravo, if you do love it!. If you don’t, please do not use it as a reason to do nothing. If you can’t, or don’t want to, go to the gym, you can hike, swim, play tennis or some other sport that you love, take the stairs rather than the elevator…you get the point.
Physical activity fights fatigue by carrying oxygen and nutrients to the cells and helps detoxify the body, by getting rid of toxins, accumulated wastes and poisons. It improves our mood by releasing those natural, feel-good substances, endorphins which help us cope with stress and sleep better.
- You don’t stay grounded: When you connect to the Earth, you absorb all of those great, positive electrons. Those electrons keep us in balance, calm us and give us an overall sense of wellbeing. The best way to do that is to walk barefoot—but that’s not exactly practical in this world, so the next best thing is a good and stylish grounding shoe like pluggz.
About Pluggz: Pluggz is a footwear brand featuring proprietary grounding technology. Pluggz shoes give people a direct connection to the Earth when they walk on grass, sand, soil and even concrete. To view our complete line, please click here.