Sometimes it’s hard to sleep; in fact, the Centers for Disease Control estimated as recently as 2011 that over 70 million people suffered from sleep disorders.
We’re constantly assaulted by sirens and other street noises and noisy neighbors.
Now, get ready—we’re going into the holidays, so here comes the “monkey brain”—you know, that chatter that that keeps us tossing and turning and worrying about future tasks and deadlines.
Health experts advise us to get at least 7.5 hours of sleep at night. Some people do require more—but there’s no such thing as requiring less sleep. When we sleep, cells replenish and recover. Without it, all of our body systems suffer. We become more injury-prone, and we hardly make good food choices when we’re tired, often reaching for those high-fat and sugary comfort foods.
Here are a few simple tips to help you get those ZZZs:
- Be sure your mattress is comfortable and supportive. We spend about 1/3 of our lives sleeping so it’s a vital piece of furniture. And don’t ignore the box spring; a good box spring absorbs shocks and stress.
- Don’t drink water for 2 or 3 hours before bed, or you’ll be up all night. Same with exercise; everyone should incorporate some physical activity into their day, but if it’s just before bed, you might find yourself too alert and energetic to sleep!
- Learn meditation or some other relaxation techniques. There was a funny scene in the movie “Eat Pray Love” where Julia Roberts tries to meditate, looks at the clock and sees that only a minute has gone by—at which point she opens her eyes and says “Kill me now!” The more she did, though, the more she could do. Don’t get discouraged. It’s a process.
- Establish little routines for getting ready for bed: Soothing music, a relaxing hot bath; reading; or taking a leisurely walk can calm and get you ready for slumber. Find what works for you.
- Stay grounded! Wear comfortable, grounding shoes like pluggz, especially when on those marathon-shopping trips. When you’re grounded, you’re making a direct connection with the all-powerful energy-source, Earth. You’re absorbing all of those positive electrons, giving you a feeling of overall well being and calm. Best of all, pluggz are available for BOTH men and women.
Now we want to hear from you. What do you do when you have trouble sleeping?
Pluggz is a footwear brand featuring proprietary grounding technology. Pluggz shoes give people a direct connection to the Earth when they walk on grass, sand, soil and even concrete. To view our complete line, please click here.